Sunday, June 26, 2011

An Unspectacular Wonder

As I was returning from a jog along the beach this morning, I happened to notice that the little tidal creek that flows under my street looked quiet and full. Normally you can see it moving upstream or down, but this time I noticed that it was just at the turning point. On the seaward side, water was flowing out; on the landward side of this very narrow creek, it was just perceptibly flowing in. The turning point was right under my feet as I stood on the bridge.



It was a subtle thing, but the idea that I was standing right at the point where the passing moon was losing its grip on the waters of this bit of wetland made me feel as if I were in orbit at a Lagrange Point. As it happened, I was warm and cozy on the surface of my planet, but there I was, in a momentary point of balance between the Moon and the living surface of the Earth.  I took a moment to give thanks and worship the Lord for the wonderful complexity the creation has, even in our little corner of the universe, then I ran home to get my camera.

Walking back from taking the video, I passed by a woman who was just parking her car there to get to the beach. On impulse I walked over to tell her about this so she could see it before it was gone - but as I approached, her scowl turned to fear. I said, "Good morning, are you headed to the beach?" She moved away a little on her seat and started rolling her window up. I said, "I just wanted to tell you that the tide in the creek up ahead is just now perfectly balanced at the top and you might like to see it." She kind of squinted at me. "Okay," I said, putting my hands up in surrender, "sorry to bother you." And walked away, wondering if she had understood anything I'd said. She looked about my age, but how far apart we seemed. She had the wall up so fast, utterly uninterested in the slightest fellowship with a stranger, it really made me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment