Friday, April 5, 2013

Spiritual Growth in a Nutshell

My best friend just asked for the link to my church's website, saying that he was "trying to introduce a little spirituality" into his life. I take this as a great compliment to me and my church, and I hope he finds some answers there.

What I want to say to him, and to all (why I'm writing it here on the blog :-)  ) who may be seeking spiritual growth, is that in my opinion, the key lies in loving God. And, and this is true of Him more than any other person, to know Him is to love Him.

Now, I love this guy like a brother - in fact, I must admit that I love him more than my biological brother, but you know, modern western culture... Anyway, the Bible says "there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother", and while that may be a reference to Christ, it is also reflected in many relationships among us imperfect humans, and this is a case in point. I wish I loved all my brothers in Christ as much as I love this man.

Then, there is a woman whom I love as I love my own body, whom I try to love as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her, whom I try to nourish and cherish as the Lord does the church, every day, every moment. Loving her has been a fountain of life for me, a fascinating mystery.

But, as Jesus pointed out, the greatest commandment (and perhaps the most ignored) is to love I AM, the God of Israel, with all your heart, all your mind, and all your strength. That too, I endeavour to do every day. Though I fall short, pursuing that kind of love is the central focus, the guiding relational force, in my life.

One day, years ago, as I was walking along a city sidewalk, I saw across the street an amazingly beautiful woman walking the other way. Before I knew what I was doing, I had stopped, turned and started following after her. I caught myself as I was crossing the street, but that moment of complete abandon is a metaphor for what I try to experience with Jesus. When I see him going somewhere, I want to stop everything, forget everything, and just follow him. That is entering in as a child; it is finding the Pearl of Great Price in a field. His overwhelming love for us, while we were yet sinners, grieving and insulting him every day, inspires this loving abandon on our part, once we get to know Him. Go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment